Tuesday, April 20, 2010

In response to Texas State and Local Government with Cindy

I found an article on my colleague, Cindy's, blog about the Del Valle school district attempting to get rid of the Parent Teacher Association. She did a great job summarizing the story she read in an article in the Austin American Statesman and she made some good points as well.

I must say- as a mother, I couldn’t agree with Cindy more. Kids spend a big chunk of their life in school and it’s our job as parents to stay involved in our child’s life. I see no benefit in keeping the parents of these Del Valle students out of the loop on their child’s education. Parents want what is best for their kids, so I think by doing away with the PTA they would also be losing a lot of support, ideas and constructive criticism. Did the dummies who proposed this idea forget that parents are among the voters who decide who is elected to the district’s school board? Call me crazy, but if the school board told me to ‘get lost’ and discouraged me from being a part of my child’s education, I’d vote for a different group of administrators. This was a well-written and interesting commentary.

No comments:

Post a Comment